“Comedy nights with Kapil “the huge show after successfully completing 2.5 years on colours tv went offline.As there have been a huge dispute between the comedian turned actor Kapil Sharma and the channel, we have heard a lot of things so far from Kapil as well as Krushna Abhishek with regard to CNWK being off air but there were no comments from the side of the channel in this connection.
It seemed that the channel is wholly guilty for telecasting two shows of the same genre, while giving more importance to ‘Comedy Nights Bachao’ but now some latest revelation have been made in this regard which are quite shocking!
In between all this, colors channel finally chose to put forth their stand. In an exclusive interview with TOI, Colors’ CEO Raj Nayak chose to break his ‘silence’ on the matter!
1. “The success of the show meant that we had a person who suddenly became a star and found it difficult to manage his success.”
He added, “He started renegotiating and asking for more money which we gave, but the more important and worrying thing was that he violated his contract by hosting shows on competitive channels in spite of having an exclusive contract with Colors for TV, which we felt was not ethical.”
2. “His managers started panicking when in terms of ratings, Comedy Nights Bachao started doing well and better than Comedy Nights With Kapil in some episodes.”
“Describing Kapil and his team’s denial mode, Nayak added, “And instead of working with our creative team and finding ways to reinvent and make the show ratings better, they kept living in denial and started casting aspersions on the channel..”
3. “We didn’t do Comedy Nights Bachao by choice. Instead, we requested Kapil not to make his show once a week as it was financially not feasible to us.”
Kapil indeed left no choice. Raj Nayak added, “He said he is busy with movies and doesn’t have the time. He did not give us a choice and made his show a weekly and in the process, also doubled his fee… And since we had built the weekend 10 pm slot as comedy, we had no choice but to bring in another comedy show in the slot vacated by Kapil,”
4. “We as a channel had done to package him, promote him and treat him like an integral part of the Colors family, he has chosen to move on.”
This definitely proves one thing, talent and arrogance can never go hand in hand, one definitely has to stay grounded.
5. “He is a nice guy being misled, I guess, by others around him for their own survival.”
Instead of blaming Kapil and his arrogance, Raj Nayak preferred putting it across in a subtle yet convincing way. Makes sense, doesn’t it?
6. “Personally, I have a great equation with him. I am answerable to my organization and I have to act and make decisions in the best interest of the channel.”
He added, “He wished me on my birthday and I wished him for New Year’s. Professionally, we have had our differences.”
7. “We have a lot of respect and love for him. But our silence was being misinterpreted.”
He finally explained why he had to finally talk about it. He said, “Our niceness was being misconstrued as our weakness and since much has been said, I felt is is important to set the record straight once and for all.”
He concluded the interview saying, “Our best wishes are with him in his future endeavors. I am sure he will experience the difference. There have been fights in the TV industry and the warring parties have even patched up at a later date,”
This definitely shows how maturely the channel has been handling the fall-out!